To Die Alone

 




To die alone is a sad thing, but a fact of my life or death, whichever. I am sent out on Scouting missionI am well suited for them, as a stealth archer. Being a vampire death is an 


ever-present aspect that, I often use to my advantage.


It wasn’t much of a surprise to run across a large group of our enemy, as I 


made my way back to Chalman Keep. Two of them didn’t make it to the keep, 


though I know that their comrades probably resurrected them. No skin off my 


nose, it slowed the group a little as they looked for me.


 I made it to the Keep before the main horde and stealthed up on the wall near 


the gate. A flicker of movement in the gatehouse told me another person was in 


there, the flare of light told me that oil pots were being lit. Looking out 


across the field, I could see the dust of the approaching horde.


  I looked behind me and checked the siege engines that were set up, making 


sure they would operate with no glitches. Movement on the opposite tower showed 


that a third person was ready to defend the Keep. That’s not to say that the 


Keep guards would not help, but you could tell they were exhausted from their 


efforts thus far. 


  With the first volley of trebuchets at the back of the field to the last loud 


crack from the ram before the gate gave way, the three of us fought to defend 


the Keep. The guards going down one by one, the healers not able to keep up 


with the carnage, though they tried their hardest, they failed. 


  When I heard the splintering sound of the gate giving way, I left my ballista 


and cast misform and ran towards the postern door. I felt the burn of fire 


across my back and knew I would not make it. My last thoughts were for my 


fellow defenders, I could only hope they made it safely away from the Keep or 


at the very least… that they did not die alone.

Comments